Thursday, May 13, 2010

There's Something in the Water...

So I have been experiencing, um, intestinal problems since before Easter. It has been a real problem, I've never experienced anything like it for so long. I went to a real bland, simple diet to mitigate a lot of the discomfort, but it was getting really old after a couple of days. Three weeks went by and my mom suggested probiotics. So I went to the local health food store and picked some up. It helped within a day or two. I've been eating regularly since, but my troubles have lingered. But Am wasn't being affected so I didn't know what it could be. At least until this last week. Am has been experiencing similar issues and the austere diet has been hard on her.

But we just found out that there is now a water contamination issue in our city. Surely our problems are unrelated, they would have caught the problem a lot sooner if it was, right? Well, in talking to some people to find out more, it sounds like people all over our town have been having these same problems for weeks. How does something like this happen? How does a problem like this go unchecked for so long? At least we know now, and we will boil our drinking and cooking water, and hopefully the problem will subside.

5 comments:

Tim said...

Wow. That's horrible. They should be testing the water on a regular basis...
Looks like someone dropped the ball big time.

Brentwell said...

That sounds miserable. I would expect something like that in a 3rd world country (I remember seeing live mosquito larvae come out of the tap in the Philippines), but not in the US. Hope you all get feeling better soon.

Cougarg said...

It sounds like our symptoms have been fairly mild compared to what some people have been experiencing.

Cecily said...

So I guess the take home message of this is to always be open about taboo things like intestinal problems. Right? Isn't that what everyone else got out of this?

That stinks, Bill! Hopefully the boiling water thing has a homey Mom'n'Pop feel rather than a really-inconvenient one.

Cougarg said...

Perhaps it is Cecily, I mean if more people talked about it early on, maybe they would have looked into the problem sooner. Of course, somebody should have been doing systematic checks for contaminants, too.