Thursday, July 22, 2010

Minuteman Prospects

I heard from a friend that she is leaving her position as head designer at a local press shop, and suggested that I apply for the position. She feels that I would be the most qualified person to apply for the job thus far, and they want to hire ASAP. The thing is, it is a full-time position, so I would have to drop my classes at UVU to accept the job. I keep hearing from design people that it is not the degree that gets you work, it is the portfolio. I could possibly maintain half-time status at UVU by taking classes in the evenings, to stave off the repayment of student loans. However, the class selection is not that great, at least this upcoming semester. There are two art classes that I would want to take, but they are held at the same time.

If I was offered the job, though, it would be perfectly suited to my skill set. And the title of "Head Designer" sure would look snazzy on a resume. It would also prove to be a balm to my confidence to know that I am desirable to employers. This has recently been a worry of mine, as hardly anyone has asked me in for an interview after all the resumes and applications I have sent and completed. My friend tells me that I have a very good shot, especially since she is the one referring me.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Tim said...

Congrats on being offered the recommendation.

Is the pay decent? Is it a reliable job (one that won't lay you off in a couple of months)?
Is it the type of job you'd be happy to have after graduation?

If the answer to all those is yes, and everything else feels right...

Besides, those loans will have to be paid off eventually. April and I had a much easier time saving money when we were both working and before we had Peter. If you get that job, now might be the best time to start paying off those loans.

Cougarg said...

My friend believes that the pay will start around $12/hr, which isn't amazing, but isn't too low, either. The shop is part of a nationwide franchise, and my friend has held her position there for over two and a half years. It sounds like it is a pretty stable place to work. And this is the kind of job that I have been hoping I could get for a long time. It also has an awesome title, "Head Designer" with a bit of managerial responsibility to it with a part-time designer below it.

As for saving, we have a bunch of money that needs to go several other places besides the student loans, that I would like to take care of first. But I do plan on saving diligently along the way.

TPlayer said...

Apply. it sounds like you want to, and I say do what you WANT. If it helps-write up a pro & con list with Amber. If it helps, My 4 brothers are all successful in their fields and only one of them ever got a degree.