Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Snakes and Snails...

Last week my step-father bought a pure bred Maltese puppy. He's going to be a stud. I mean that quite literally. He is going to be used for breeding. We call him Joe, which is short for a Portuguese phrase that means, Hound of Gold. Go figure. Anyways, he is a cute little sucker, and usually fun to have around. He gets under foot easily as he is not much bigger than that. The thing is he is displacing the cat. She went wherever she liked, until the day Joe showed up. There is no reason for her to be skittish around the puppy, she is 3 times his size, and when he is done growing, she'll still be twice his size. But she is skittish, and rarely leaves the basement. I think she is feeling somewhat neglected as she will now get on my bed and want me to pet her. This would be alright I guess if it weren't for her fur. It's long and fine, and hard to see individually. But you can definitely tell when it is in your mouth, blech!

And now for something completely different:

I'm in my third month of classes at Stevens-Henager, and the two classes I'm in could not be more different. They have me in English 101, which is a grammar class. I haven't had grammar since the fifth grade. I guess they didn't realize I had to write several research papers every semester I was at BYU, and that I might actually have grammar down by now. My other class is Management 330: Advertising. Does that seem strange to anyone else? Advertising is definitely a possible career for a graphic artist, but why am I in this class so early in my studies? Wouldn't it be more useful to take the class near the end of my program? Why number it 330 if it is not meant to be taken later on? Anyways, the classes started last week, and I completed everything for the English class yesterday. I took all my quizzes, submitted all my assignments, and took the final. The only thing I have to do for the class is to log in everyday for the next 2 and a half weeks. My advertising class on the other hand is more involved than that, I can only work ahead so far. I can't wait for more design classes next month.

There is a chance I will have to move and find a job sooner than expected. My step-father has applied for a couple of positions at SUU in Cedar City. If he gets one, then he and my mother will be getting an apartment down there. He feels confident about his qualifications, and it would be great for them financially. While the housing market is quite favorable at this time in most of Utah, their neighborhood is full of houses that are standing empty. For the time being they would not want to try to sell the house. But they would still need to make the house payments on it. No job that would fit with my classes would allow me to make the payments myself. And I doubt I could talk anybody into moving out here to help. One, it is so far away from everything, and two, there is not enough parking space for four individuals with personal cars. I enrolled at the Murray campus to force me to move north when the time came, I just didn't think it might be so soon. If anyone knows any good deals on rent in south Salt Lake County, let me know.

2 comments:

Christine said...

It sounds like your classes are going well....when do the design classes start? I think it's great that you're doing this. Good luck apartment hunting!

Cougarg said...

Already had a Photoshop class last month, though I wish they would give me at least one design class every month so I could have something fun and challenging to look forward to. But things are what they are.