Monday, April 28, 2008

Hard Things

Last night I did something very hard. I hope it is worth it. I let go of someone that has meant a lot to me for quite awhile. I'd forgotten, somewhat, how I'd felt about her until we saw each other for the first time in a long time. We dated a few years ago, and when we broke up, it broke my heart. I always felt that our story was not finished at that time, but I stayed away. Until this month that is. Thanks to a bizarre dream on April Fool's, we have done a few things together. It felt very much like old times. But she is leaving at the end of the week, and I may never see her again. I had hoped that somehow we could get back together, that I could somehow talk her into coming back. I realized, however, that I had no place asking her any such thing, especially being unsure how she felt exactly. I felt that I had to let go of her. I had run away when we broke up, and never really faced the issue. I'm still crazy about her. And I told her so, but I also told her that I was letting go. I'll miss her, but I'm at peace about things. I hope I did the right thing, I think I did.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Hang in there - it does get better (I remember hearing that and thinking ...WHEN???) Breaking up just stinks, and there are no two ways around it. But good for you for seeking closure - I think it makes a big difference. Okay, maybe this is super cheesy, but I love the song "Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts - basically it says that all of our ups and downs and heartaches and breaks shape us and change us and lead us (eventually) to where we really want to be (in the song, a person) and I just love it because it reminds me that hard things like this can make me better. Phew, this is getting ridiculously long - sorry.

Do something fun this weekend!!

Cougarg said...

Hey thanks, I appreciate it. On the one hand, I felt like I had to, that it was required of me by a higher power. But there are times when I think that I must be crazy. You are right though, I have a goal in mind, even if I don't fully understand how I get there from here.