Friday, June 22, 2007

Making and Breaking

I told my friend that I would come to his wedding open house. I told him weeks ago. But my company will not let me take the time off. This is partly because I didn't ask for it off when I told my friend that I would be there. I finally asked earlier this week. And the answer was that they couldn't afford to let me go for the weekend in the busiest office in the company. Except this has been a slow week, but the chance could be that there will be a lot of work to do. A chance. That is the part that gets me. So much depends on things that are beyond my control. But if I would have asked two weeks ago, I would probably be going. So a lot depends on me too.

I found out that I have the second most installs in Denver, and rank 7th in he company. This with one of the longest install-time averages in the company. One of my friends here has consistently had shorter install-times than me yet he has 15 fewer installs. I don't understand how that can be. It's all about timing I guess. Now he is thinking of going back to Provo. If he does, that'll mean more work for me (Yuck) and that means more money (Yay). It would also mean 1 less friend in a place where I don't have time to cultivate new friendships. So I have mixed feelings about it. But he has to do what is right for him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ended up in the same situation in New Jersey. Some of the longest install-times nationwide, but after the first six weeks always in the top 10 on number of completed installs. Sometime slow and steady really does win the race, though.

I don't know if your company withholds bonuses till the end as insurance against quitting, but even if they don't your friend should probably not make any sudden moves without another job lined up back home.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cougarg said...

well he's gone, I guess there was a promotion at NuSkin that he had a strong chance for. But Denver is the top selling office and his departure is really hard on the company. The funny thing is the new guy they brought in a couple weeks ago is now considering going home as well for a chance to go back to his old job too. I just wish I had a strong offer to go back as well. Then I would have a huge bargaining chip to negotiate for better pay.

Tim said...

Missed you there.
Not sure it would've been worth your time to drive up just for the open house though.
Two more months...and imagine all the great things you'll be able to do with that cash (like go to college :))
Nice work on being one of the top installers, by the way.