Sunday, December 9, 2007

Living With Cliques

There seems to be a feud going on among the people I work with out here in NJ/NY. There is my friend Rob*, his wife Julie, his sister Heather, her boyfriend Tyler, Julie's friend Nikki, and me. Julie doesn't care for Tyler, so he and Heather do stuff on their own most of the time. Last week Nikki and I ended up going into the city with Heather and Tyler. We told Julie we were going, and that she could come. But I guess she didn't want to because of Tyler, and resented us going. Or rather she resented Nikki. Now she is ignoring Nikki for no real reason. I think I have mitigated any wrath Julie may have had toward me. I have tried not to go with one group more than the other. But I am having trouble keeping it up.

You see, I think Nikki has a thing for me, and I don't have it back. I would choose Rob and Julie, just to avoid her, but I share a room with Tyler, so that group is always over. I think that Nikki is starting to pick up that I am being a bit distant, I just hope she doesn't take it the wrong way. I have no problem being a friend, but that's all I care to be.

I thought I left this all behind a long time ago in public school. I am not yet counting down the days until I can go home like I did this summer, but it is getting close to that. At least the money is a lot better here than it was in Denver.

* - names have been changed to protect the innocent.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of things that seem adolescent don't actually go away when people grow up. The only difference is that now you're expected not to do anything about the problems, because everyone involved is a "responsible" adult. Cliques, not getting to bed on time, all kinds of different "adult" entertainment, etc ... it's ridiculous. Just because people get bigger doesn't necessarily mean they've learned anything along the way.

Cougarg said...

Yeah, that is true. I guess in a lot of ways I still have some learning to do like all the other "responsible" adults out there.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but you're so personable.

caron said...

Are they really that innocent? :)
I've seen the same thing, expecially in my ward. Maybe it's the whole single's ward deal, but people can be so petty it makes me ill.
I would also like to add that I hate girls because they are mean.
I also love that you are avoiding her because she is hinting at having a thing for you. All that unspoken crush stuff and interpreting actions is so hard to deal with.
Why can't we all just get along?

Cougarg said...

Thanks for the encouragement, I wasn't sure what else I could do about it besides having some sort of DTR. And who wants that? Maybe the Mallard would, but who else?