Thursday, May 15, 2008

The "Thrill" of the Hunt

I hate looking for work. It sucks. Just like dating, it is so mercenary. Every employer expects you to be totally loyal, but most won't even give you the time of day if they are not interested in you. They look for loyalty in your resume. "What was the reason you left your previous position?" You make up some BS to sugarcoat why you are looking for work now, but you are really thinking, "I hated my last job, they didn't pay me enough for what they wanted me to do, and I'll leave you too as soon as something better comes along." The reality is that most employers are not going to hire you, so you have to apply at several jobs at a time. And each one you have to tell, "I only have eyes for you, baby!" You just hope that the last one on your list isn't the first one to offer you the position. It wouldn't look good to say, "I'd rather work for the other guys, but please wait just in case they say no." And then you find a job that you think you may like. They ask you to come for an interview, and it goes well. The pay is good, the hours are great, the people are nice. And then when you are finally feeling like you are about to get a job, you do some fact finding, and calculations. The part-time job that sounds so great comes attached with a two-hour roundtrip commute, and no public transportation that comes anywhere close to your destination. So you have to turn your best shot at employment down, and start the search all over again. Ahhh, the thrill of the hunt...whoop-di-freakin'-doo!

4 comments:

Tim said...

No fun.
Last summer, before I got married, I applied all over for teaching jobs. I interviewed in a couple of places. One of them told me they thought they'd hire me, but they had one more person to interview. They sent me an email on my honeymoon to inform me that they'd given the job to the other guy.
Later, three weeks before school started (I had mono at the time and was looking for a sleep tech job) this same place called me and offered me a job. It would've felt so good to say no...but I'd rather work regular hours than be a sleep tech, so I said yes.
Glad I don't have to go through that fiasco for a little bit now. Finding work's a pain.

TPlayer said...

So pretty much you're saying long distance relationships aren't worth it... I'd have to agree with you!

Cougarg said...

Well, if the payoff is big enough, some long-distance 'ships are worth it. But that is a big IF.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you cougarg and tplayer ... distance is a major challenge in an employment relationship.