Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Meet the Parents

I've had the opportunity to spend some time around Am's parents this week. They are good people, and I'm glad she has the wonderful family she does. But this week has felt like an extended job interview. I felt like I was being weighed in the balance and hoped that I wouldn't be found wanting.

Last night her dad told me that they felt like I respected their daughter, that they were glad that we were seeing each other, and that I had made a good first impression. And he said that if we would go to the temple for baptisms, then they would know we were being good. This definitely makes me feel relieved. 

4 comments:

Brentwell said...

It is a good thing to have in-laws that are great people. My in-laws are super easy to get along with and are good friends with my parents. They stayed the other night at my parents place before attending General Conference.

caron said...

Wow, this sounds like it's working out marvelously for you. :) Meeting the parents is a step in a very happy exciting direction!

TPlayer said...

I disagree with her Dad. The temple is not an appropriate place for a date (until you're married). I have had many Bishps advise young single adults to NOT attend the temple with someone they're dating, as it often confuses the obviously present feelings of the Spirit to be feelings of "inspiration" that may or may not be reality. If you're wanting to "be good" and go to the temple...Go on your own. She can go on her own too. I did it for many years before I was endowed.

After all, you go there to serve the Lord, not to impress some girl's parents and be distracted by how pretty she looks in white, or her by "how cool" it is that her boyfriend can baptize her.

Seek personal revelation about your relationship on a PERSONAL level, not as an outing together....Just my opinion.

Cougarg said...

I've heard that as well, Tiff.