Monday, April 9, 2007

On the Road Again... and Other Thoughts

I will soon be leaving the ranks of transportationally challenged! Hopefully my loan will be approved today and I can take possession of my "new" car on Tuesday. I am purchasing a '93 Honda Accord, 5-speed manual transmission and power everything! The car is in as good of shape as a 14 year old car could be expected to be in. No more bumming rides from people, independence will be nice. And much more expensive, but oh well. Nothing in this life is free, you just have to decide if the price is worth it.

As for the 'Other Thoughts' portion, I just watched a video at my Mom's place called The Secret, and it is all about the power of positive thinking, feeling, and visualizing. But one of the things they talk about is the power of gratitude. That if we find and express gratitude for good things in our lives, no matter how little of those we think we have, more good will come our way. The video talks about a 'gratitude rock' to carry around with you. Not that there is any inherent value in the rock itself, but whenever you feel the rock in your pocket, you think of the things you are grateful for. It reminds me of the 'prayer rock' from Seminary or Primary. You know, the one you put on your pillow so when you go to bed you hit your head and then remember to pray. Then you put it on the floor, so in the morning you step on it and pray before doing anything else. I never really considered the 'prayer rock' as something practical, I'd just put the rock on the shelf and forget about it. But I think I'll try this out.

I was somewhat skeptical of this video, and at first it seemed to be all about taking things into your own hands and not relying on anything, or anyone, else. But while alot of what they talked about left God out of the equation in word, it did not specifically say to take Him out in practice. Just about everything they talked about could be practiced within the framework of religion. So I'm going to try and put some of these things into play, and we'll see what happens.

No comments: