Monday, September 3, 2007

BYU 20, UofA 7

I just got back to Denver from my 'vacation' in Utah. It was an expensive little trip, But I'm glad I went. I would have been bored to tears out here. As it is, I totally forgot about Labor Day and should have extended my stay another day, as I don't think there will be any installs to do today.

The game was fun. It was really hot, but I went prepared with sunscreen and lipbalm, so I wasn't totally fried. There were alot of questions going into this game. How well would Max Hall step into John Beck's shoes? Who would replace Curtis Brown at runningback? What about the tight ends without Johnny Harline and Daniel Coats? How much rust does Austin Collie have after two years in Argentina? How would BYU handle Arizona's new offense?

Hall went 26-39 for 288 yards, 2 touchdowns, and no interceptions. Not bad for not playing in an actual game in four years.
Harvey Unga made a strong case for himself filling the role Brown left, running for 68 yards on 15 carries, and catching 9 passes for 127 yards. He scored two touchdowns on the day. Tight end play was solid with Vic So'oto and Dennis Pitta combining for 66 yards and 1 touchdown. While he didn't have a huge game compared with his freshman year, Collie showed some moves on his 4 catches for 41 yards. BYU's defense was up for what turned out to be not much of a challenge. Arizona had implemented an offense very similar to BYU's over the off-season. It was somewhat reminiscent of BYU's first game with their offense two years ago against Boston College. The only score came when there was less than a minute in the game. Arizona's O will get better as the season progresses, but no one should have expected very much in it's first game.

BYU faces a bigger challenge in UCLA next week in Pasadena, CA. They will be facing former Cougar and star recruit Ben Olson, who transferred to UCLA after serving his mission. Olson threw five TDs against a weak Stanford team in a 45-17 blowout. I just need to find someone with the cable station Versus so I can watch the game.

5 comments:

Brentwell said...

Gotta love the internet, we listened in Kentucky through KSL's website.

It was fun to listen to BYU manhandle Arizona. I think that they will be competitive against UCLA, though I can't say that I would bet on them. Go BYU!

Cougarg said...

What would be sweet is if video streaming was high quality, reliable, and inexpensive. I've listened to many games that way, mostly Basketball games, so it is very nice to have. It's just too bad TV distribution is so limited for BYU games.

B said...

Hey brent I was going to say the same thing! We were in Co. Springs for the weekend and listened on KSL's website! It was great.

Aaron said...

I'm jealous you got to watch the game. Usually BYUTV shows the games ~1 day late, and I watched many of the games last season that way in NY. No such luck this year. I guess I'll just have to try KSL.

CAROLIONESS said...

We have versus right now, but when we move within the next month, we won't.